Saturday, June 4, 2011

Dancing at the cafe - Bande a Part (AKA Band of Outsiders)

This is a famous scene from the french film 'Bande a Part' (band of outsiders), directed by Jean-Luc Godard. It is a black and white film, made in 1964. This scene shows three people randomly dancing in a cafe, repeating the same steps over and over again. This dance is commonly known as 'the Madison'. The music used is upbeat and is true to the time the film was made. The music would stop at randomly for the narrator to comment. They are outsiders to the people in the cafe, hence the name 'band of outsiders'. I found this dance annoying and overly repetitive. This scene drags on for quite a while. It may have been original and amusing for its time, but personally I think it's quite dull. This was said to be a 'comedy', though I don't really see what's so funny about three people dancing in cafe.
 
Although I have only seen this particular part of the film, I have researched the storyline. In short, it is basically about three people, whom we saw in this scene, who plan a robbery. From what I've read, this scene really has no purpose to the film whatsoever.




No comments:

Post a Comment